[Public-List] Steam bending Teak

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 31 09:14:24 PST 2010

One consideration in this discussion is the species of wood used in the
rails and constructin of the AL30. I have had suggested to me that it
may be Afromosia or a Central or a South American species that is more
closely related to mahogany than teak. The species, if teak, might also
depend upon the country of origin with Burmese Teak differing from that
grown in any other country. If you google teak  or mahogany substitutes
you will get quite a range of discussions from afromosia  to Honduran
mahogany to sapele and many more. These species all have different
steaming characteristics!
Don #528