[Public-List] Steam bending Teak

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 31 16:32:34 PST 2010

Don,

Interesting that you posted this because our old girl suffered toerail damage from being "nudged" by a 60 ft seiner while tied alongside a wharf last summer.  I had assumed that the toe rails were weathered teak until I looked at the damaged wood.  To me the grain looks more like mahogany than teak and the colour is more red than yellow which, again, suggests that it is mahogany or like mahogany.  To put this in context we are hull #39.

I know that when the RCA cabinet factory in Owen Sound closed down Vandestadt & MacGruer bought up all of their remaining cabinet woods at bankruptcy prices for use in their Sirius and Sirens interior woodwork and for trim on the other smaller boats that they had in production.  I remember mahogany and teak as well as oak and, probably, maple in the woodshop the year I worked there.  Maybe Whitby had access to similar "cheap" wood at one time or maybe they bought what was available when they needed wood.

Cheers,

Hugh