[Public-List] Gas tank

Dave Terrell dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Wed Jan 20 06:19:57 PST 2010

Stephen

Moeller has a plastic fuel tank of similar dimensions holding 18
gallons. It fits behind the engine. Both West Marine and Defender carry
it. Getting the old one out is easy. Just remove the wood panels on the
port side, loosen what ever hold the tank in place and slide it out.
This tank is a little longer than the one you have so more of the tank
will be forward. the dimesnions are 36.5 x 18.25 x 7.25.

The defender catalogue info is below. Defender's price is $ 165.99. West
Marine will match their price.

David, 432

Below-Deck Technology with Moeller*s Above-&-Beyond Innovation. Unlike
aluminum tanks, this comprehensive line of cross-linked polyethylene
models is a distinctive Moeller innovation.
Features:
Corrosion and pit resistance and exclusive Moeller Tite* pioneering Each
tank is complete with Hose Tite*, machined aluminum fill spouts,
withdraw, and vent fittings molded directly into the shell Our tanks are
your single source for the ultimate in below-deck technology Utilizes
rotationally molded, cross-linked polyethylene plastic, allowing for
complex shape designs beyond conventional and restricted aluminum tanks
Our fittings hold the highest O.D. and I.D. tolerances in the industry,
ensuring you the highest level of input flow available during tank
refueling Machined aluminum 3/8" withdraw fitting has 360* rotational
capability for hook-up convenience Ideally suited for gasoline and
diesel use with appropriate return kit (035724-10 / 07153) Helping you
properly secure your tank, convenient hold down grooves molded directly
into tank shell work great with Moeller*s Permanent Fuel Tank Hold Down
Kit (035710-10 / 07147). Conforms to all ABYC, NMMA and U.S. Coast Guard
regulations Available with CE certification Add 2-1/8" (54mm) to tank
height dimension to accommodate fill height

>>> Stephen Gwyn 01/20/10 1:54 AM >>>

It looks like I will have to replace my gas tank in the next
little while. The current one is aluminum and getting corroded.
It is located behind the engine (an Atomic-4). It measures 7 1/2"
tall by 18" wide by 31" long. The front end rests on an
aluminimum beam running athwartships. At the aft end, its corners
rest directly on the hull. It slopes downward towards the front.

I'm pretty sure I can get it out without removing the engine
first, but...

Does anybody else have such a tank? Was it standard for Alberg
30s? If not, what was standard? Where do other people keep their
gas tanks?

Stephen,
#495 Quasar

Stephen Gwyn | Tel: 1-250-363-3136
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy | Fax: 1-250-363-0045
Univ. of Victoria | Cell: 1-250-885-6969
PO Box 3055 | E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
Victoria, BC V8W 3P6 | http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn