[Public-List] Alberg 30 or Triton?

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Thu Jul 1 05:59:47 PDT 2010

There has been discussions about several aspects of this idea in the
past....
1. the Triton is a nice Carl Alber designed boat - but compared to the
Alberg 30 it was not built as well. Most of the Annapolis fleet (what is
left) have been substantailly rebuilt and still have issues. Compare
this to the A30 where many have never had anything but repowering and
paint jobs and you see that you get a better bang for you buck.

2. This idea of the outboard is a joke. Yes I am being judgemental ...
however I have been there done that with dingies and find that in a full
keel boat - a well powered inboard makes all the difference when trying
to access a harbor during a substantial ebb or navigate through a storm
into a harbor or any number of other circumstances where a good
auxiliary engine is needed. I own a Melges 24 - it has an outboard ...
there ... you really don't need the outboard but you find that it is
purposeful. On both of my Alberg 30's the inboard will always be there
in an emergency. I think these folks who do the ocean trip on the
outboard find that there are substantial issues with the outboard ....
like cavitation, popping out of the water ...etc... my Atomic 4 uses
anywhere about 1 gal per hour under motor --- not bad --- so for
emergencies - it is well worth being there.

Good luck with the $1,000 triton - you get what you pay for!

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458