[Public-List] Alberg 30 or Triton?

Daniel Michaels nov32394 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 09:40:15 PDT 2010

First let me say that when choosing a plane I always tell the customer to define the mission first. This eliminates most of the choices right away. Gets rid of that "I like the looks of this one". I did the same thing, I followed the suggestions of "Twenty Small Boats to take you Anywhere". Other things written by John Vigor and numerous sailing groups. One of the groups thought I was crazy to attempt such a venture in anything less than a 45' boat with less than 3 crew. Also this own board suggested I ask the expert "Yves Gelinas" who told me both boats are great boats, which I already knew. But the decision would hinge on the condition and equipment each boat had. I picked the boat that had the best equipment and was in the best condition for the least amount of money. Just because I only paid $1,000.00 for it does not mean it is worth $1,000.00. It was the best choice for what I want to do. You also have to realize that not everyone's mission is the
 same. I tell a friend that I am taking a coast to coast trip in the Viking at 9000'/180 mph. He just laughs and says that is not a trip. A trip is 1500'/80 mph in a Champ. More than one person has told me, "You have not sailed until you sailed without and engine".

One other thing, I went to the web site of Tim Lackey http://www.northernyacht.com/. I watched all the progress of "Rookie" a Triton he restored. He addressed every aspect of the problems that the boat had. Nothing looked to be a deal-breaker. This boat had been filled with water and needed a total refit.

Dan