[Public-List] Bilge pumps

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Jul 7 05:51:23 PDT 2010

I agree with CB

An automatic electric bilge pump will not save your boat if a hose fails -
in the first place it won't keep up with even a 3/4" hose that has let go...
And in the second place it will not run for long before it kills the
batteries.

An 'unintended peril' caused by an electric pump is that it can hide a leak
from you by keeping the water down until the batteries are dead.  Then you
will be facing the issue without electrical power to start the engine.

I think they are not good things to have on board a fibreglass boat.  A
wooden boat is a different story - they can have weeping leaks (I refer both
to the rate of water ingress as well as to the emotion of the owner who
can't find where it is coming from)  that an automatic pump can be relied
upon to keep under control.

I used to have more trouble with the auto switch than with the pumps - I
went through several until I found one that seemed to last.  The expensive
mercury switch ones seemed shorter lived that a cheapo I found that had a
heavy ball inside it that completed the circuit when the flipper floated up
and caused the ball to roll.  I liked separate pump/switch installations
because I could replace only one or the other WHEN they failed... And also
because I could mount the switch a little higher than the pump which meant
that the rotor in the pump was always wet - never running dry.

Hanging the pump into the bilge is not a bad thing at all, so long as the
wiring is situated so that the connections are normally dry.

Sorry for the length of this

Gord Surprise #426