[Public-List] Help with Trip Planning

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 10 14:08:25 PDT 2010

Bob Kirk wrote
"It's not clear from your email if you're only planning two days to Chesapeake City, and then pick up the boat another weekend, or if you're continuing on to Annapolis. In either case, you don't need to go near Delaware City. Your legs would be roughly,
Forked River - Cape May 70nm (You deserve a marina in Cape May; reserve one.)
Cape May - Chesapeake City 60nm (nice anchorage, crowded weekends)
Ches City - Annapolis 50nm"

>From one who has made the run a few times I'll throw in this isn't bad, but if it were me I would consider the first night in Atlantic City (split the Forked River - Cape May in half).  There is a good anchorage on the right in a lagoon before the RR bridge.
>From Cape May I would go to the Cohansey River, then the next day to Chesapeake City and home.  There is no need to go past the canal up to Delaware City.

If you are doing the trip just on weekends and leaving the boat to come home for work, I will suggest Cape May and Summit as the places to leave her. These are the only two places directly on your route with reasonable marinas to leave her in.

I would recommend a small chartplotter if possible along with paper charts.  Computers are nice but they are battery hogs and if you get to make the passages under sail I think you would find your battery very low.   I agree on the extra fuel on board.  Except for Cape May buying fuel on this route is questionable.  You can get fuel in Atlantic City and on the Cohansey (if the marina is open), but the currents can make docking exciting.  Chesapeake City does not have fuel, but Summit, near the Delaware entrance of the canal does.  For an A30 the currents in the Delaware and the canal will affect you, but are manageable. At Atlantic City or the Cohansey, again manageable but near max flood/ebb make docking interesting.

As always watch the weather and adjust your schedule accordingly.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt