[Public-List] Fw: FW: Racers speed of A30 (Lawrence Morris)

Jonathan Adams laughing_gull at verizon.net
Tue Jul 20 09:51:46 PDT 2010

I am with Gord - if the sails are blown out you get the boat heeling
excessively.

The effect I believe is two fold. If the boat is heeling it is not going fast,
AND you have weather helm which is forcing you to steer with a consistent rudder
to keep you heading where you want to go. The rudder is a barn door, so anything
you can do not to use it is faster.

At 12 knots, with a 170 and a full main you should be just perfect.

Also - are you racing with the genoa cut for a roller furler? imho they cut out
all teh shape of the sail so that it will furl nicely - if your competitors have
hank on sails that are cut correctly, then this will make a huge difference.

As to the right speed. That is a tough one - it depends on water conditions. The
speeds you are discussing sound pretty good. However, if you are racing - a few
degrees higher, and a few fractions of a knot faster, and before you know it ...

I have an older main that is beginning to pain me as it is what I am blaming my
poor performance in light wind on it  - it is easier than just saying that I am
challenged in sailing in light wind!

I increased the rake substantially on my mast and put more bend it. This helped
-especially in the conditions that you are referring to. From the top of the
mast to the lower pin on the backstay chainplate should be ~39' 5". Give it a
measure - my masthead was significantly further forward than that. Also check to
see if your mast step is all the way forward.

See if you can find a sail maker to come and sail with you.

Jonathan