[Public-List] FW: Racers speed of A30 (Lawrence Morris)

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Jul 20 08:06:49 PDT 2010

Hello friends -

I have been reading your exchanges with interest.  I would suggest that you
should never sail with your genoa partially rolled.  Even a new sail will
end up with a very poor shape, and any sail will eventually be ruined by
sailing partially rolled.  Despite what the sales brochures say, head sail
roller furling is a storage system, not a reefing system.

If you boat heels as dramatically as you say in that sort of wind, I have to
suggest that your sails are 'blown out' and not useful for racing.  A blown
out sail, although it will still look strong,  will have a deeper draft
(curve) than originally built into it, and the deepest part of that curve
will be further aft along it.  The result is excessive force directed toward
heeling the boat...and dramatically less useful forward driving energy.
Thinking along the same lines, installing full battens to a mainsail is
often done in attempts to remedy a tired shape - it doesn't usually help.
(although I know many people find such a sail easier to furl)

You shouldn't have to reef in only 12knts of wind, particularly with a
headsail as small as a 120.   A 120 and a single reef is what you'd expect
to use in winds getting over 28kts.  Also, a 120, being so small, will
create balance problems with the main even if the main is reefed.  Our boats
have large mains and need power forward to keep the development of weather
helm where it should be.  Too much power aft of the mast will increase
weather helm and force you to sail with too much rudder on as you counteract
your boat's tendency to round up.  If you shorten sail aft of the mast in an
attempt to ease the helm...you find yourself sailing underpowered and still
slow.

Yacht racing is of course as much (or more) about tactics than straight boat
speed, but it sounds like  you are hitting the ceiling with regard how your
improving sailing/racing skills are developing. I think new sails will make
a dramatic improvement in your results. I wish were racing on the same water
as you so we could spar with each other!

Gord  #426 SURPRISE