[Public-List] FW: Racers speed of A30 (Lawrence Morris)

elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 20 07:37:23 PDT 2010

 Dear Lawrence,
Thanks for your input. We do have a 150 Jib, but I have to mention that it is quite old and has a very deep-kind of pocket. In light downwind - she performs quite well, even against spinnaker sailors. However, if we roll her half-way in (we have roller furling) she has no longer a shape but just a funny-formed pocket.
But the other thing we noticed is - at 12kts wind, with the 150 and the full main sail, we would heel about 30 degree and the rail would be in the water. With the 120 and the 1st reef, the rail is just about 4" out of the water and she seemed to be well balanced. And from what I read in the past - I thought that the 20 - 25 degree angle is about the best angle she could have for the best performance??? Would you agree on that?
About the prop - there is nothing I can do about it and the wetted surface itself is fairly clean (we have a very short season - mid May to mid October).
But having said all that - do you know how fast you are going under perfect circumstances? If you tell me 6.1-6.2kts, I could say that the three-blade prop makes the difference. But if it is more like 6.5kts, I am certain we have to find some other things to improve. And unfortunately I am only aware of 3 (three) A30 on our Lake - and I was never able to compare our speed with any of them.
I thank you in advance for your reply.
With best regards
Bruno & Elyse, Lady Heron 297