[Public-List] Rigging

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Wed Jul 21 07:32:32 PDT 2010

Here is a table with the Luff Perpendicular worked out for each of the
jibs shown in the A30 Sail Plan. The Chesapeake Bay One Design rules
specify these numbers as max dimensions for the Working Jib and the #1,
but say only that the #2 must  be smaller in every dimension than the
#1.  The J shown in the Sail Plan is 10 feet 5 inches.

          Luff   Foot Leech   LP    LP/J%
Working  30.00  10.25 25.75  8.52  0.82
#2       32.00  15.00 30.25 14.06  1.35
#1       34.00  19.00 33.50 18.09  1.74

LP can be found directly from the three sides of a triangle as :
LP = sqrt ( foot^2 - ( (leech^2-foot^2-luff^2)/(2*luff) )^2 )

My wife greatly prefers the #2 and though she hasn't seen it in action,
my new Working Jib will be her favorite.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272