[Public-List] FW: Racers speed of A30

Michael Grosh dickdurk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 16:39:00 PDT 2010

Well, if nothing else, you have just described why one design racing is the
only racing there is.

MichealGrosh

On Jul 22, 2010 4:53 PM, "Gordon Laco" <mainstay at csolve.net> wrote:

Hello Bruno and Elyse -

I think that when racing you should not consider shortening sail until the
wind is getting up toward 20 knots.  At that point I would leave the 150 on
the headstay and take one reef.

If your sails have good flat shapes with the draft forward... When the wind
is getting near 30 you can take a second reef and might set a 120 if you
have one.

Cruising, it would be uncomfortable to drive the boat that hard, but you
won't win races if you don't.

If you are changing to a 120 genoa in wind under 25 knots, you will be
creating balance problems that will slow you down.  A basic rule of thumb is
that you should shorten sail from aft forward.   So the sequence might be
more like this

First step - flatten main
Second step - feather main (sail with a 'bubble' in it)
Third step - take a reef (wind is over 20 now)
Fourth step - remove 150, replace with smaller headsail
Fifth step - take a second reef
Sixth step - sail double reefed main feathered

At this point you might be in over 30 knots of wind...

Beware of memorizing tables with specific wind speeds and making sail
changes based on that.  For example, the temperature will have a huge effect
on the power in the wind.  25 knots in October will have a lot more bite
than the same wind in August... Cold air is denser...  Piling crew to
windward perceptably increases sail carrying power....  And back to the old
theme; sails with good shapes will drive your boat forward and upright in
the same wind that baggy sails (that still might look 'good') will have her
flat on her side in.

Your indicators for when to shorten sail should not be a particular wind
speed... But angle of heel and amount of helm.  We raced quite happily last
night in about 25 knots of wind with a single reef and our regular genoa.
We shook the reef out on the reaches and runs, took it in again for the
beats.  We feathered it in the gusts and filled it again in the lulls.  I
told the fellow on the mainsheet "you are the man with his foot on the gas
pedal... Keep the rail just out of the water".  So he sawed back and forth
on the sheet keeping the boat under as much pressure as she could stand.

Cheers -

Gord