[Public-List] FW: Racers speed of A30

Lawrence Morris morris.lc at verizon.net
Fri Jul 23 11:53:56 PDT 2010

Gord

I couldn't agree more with your comments.

Bruno.

The only thing I would add to Gords comments is that when you are
racing your sail selection should be for maximum performance in the
least wind speed you are expecting during the race tha way you are
still at full performance in the lulls. In the gusts you work the main
sheet to keep the rail out of the water and the boat moving. This is
counter intuititive to the cruising
Sail selection for a given wind strength.

When sailing with the big genoa and the boats is overpowered it is an
effective strategy to feather the main and the genoa. This means
steering a higher than normal course stalling both the inside and
outside telltales. The boat will still get plenty of drive off the
leech of the genoa and the heal angle is reduced cosiderably.  As Gord
says you need to have the horse power for the lulls and manage the
puffs.

Also. A30 are very sensative to weather helm. The class here has
determined that a completely  neutral helm is the fastest upwind. I
try to trim the sails so I can steer with just
a couple of fingers in all conditions.  I don't always succeed but
that's the goal.

I hope this helps.

Larry Morris
Bosun Yacht Systems