[Public-List] Wind Meters - what is good?

Robert Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Mon Jul 26 10:45:20 PDT 2010

Bruno/Elyse... Here is a page that shows comparisons (not evaluations) for
a bunch of meters. Those prices listed can probably be beat elsewhere.
    http://www.weathershack.com/compare-weather-stations/handheld-wind-meters-comparison-chart.html

I have no personal experience with any of them. On the other hand, many
years ago, before the small turbine type meters became available, I was the
meteorologist on a new aircraft carrier. I found something very similar to
these, below, in a box of our weather office supplies [Again, this is a
quick look and you may find similar floating ball anemometers elsewhere,
maybe cheaper.]:

    http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Meter-Dwyer-Portable-REPLACEMENT/dp/B000AYIYUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1280149377&sr=8-1
or,

   http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG0008842&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-NULL-_-231341&mr:trackingCode=425F975B-6581-DE11-8C0A-000423C27502&mr:referralID=NA

I spent quite a bit of time comparing its accuracy against several other,
more sophisticated and very expensive instruments - turbines & spinning cup
anemometers. It was surprisingly accurate in low and high wind conditions,
and somehow, one found its way intro my seabag when I left the ship. I've
used it every once in a while on Isobar and it still works. You're
requirement is for only wind speed; you don't need temperatures, dew
points, or anything else. Besides, it's fun watching the bouncing balls.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181