[Public-List] Sherwood Water Pump - Gray Marine Sea Scout

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 07:02:08 PDT 2010

Hi Brian,

There is a seal around the shaft where it exits the housing. Remove the pump from the motor and disassemble. There will be a number on the seal so when you remove it be careful not to damage it so you can't read the number. Inspect the shaft for wear and/or scoring where it rides in the bushing and where the seal rides against it. If the shaft and bushing inside the housing are good then polish the shaft and purchase a new seal. With the seal number in hand contact a bearing supplier in the Soo and they will most likely handle seals as well. Van Ness or Cedarville might also be good contacts for parts it you can't obtain them locally. Worst case scenario shaft and bushing are also bad. Housing in a fresh water boat should be OK so press in new bushing and fit a new shaft to the original housing. Also check for wear in the cover plate, this will look like concentric grooves in the plate from the impeller. You can resurface the plate so that it is smooth and refit with a new gasket. These grooves if severe allow water to bypass the impeller and reduce pumping efficiency. Assemble a new impeller with a little silicone grease, plumbers grease, just a thin coat and go back to sailing, er, motoring.

Happy rebuilding to you,

Michael #133

P.S. I am still in FL and not to get to northern MI until mid August or so, very sad.

P.P.S. If you are not up to rebuilding it yourself, obtain the parts and take them to an auto electric shop. They should have the equipment to press in the bushing, seal and polish the shaft.