[Public-List] Spinnaker Pole

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Jun 14 05:28:30 PDT 2010

Hello Greg -

I had a 3" pole but switched to a 2 1/2" with nylon reinforced plastic
Forespar ends.   This pole has served us well in quite heavy conditions.
When building the pole I took care to use a bridle system for the uphaul and
downhaul so as to ensure that the pole is always in compression.  What I
mean is we did not set it up with attachment points at its middle, which
would have caused the spinnaker's energy to be transmitted to it in the form
of bending loads.

I would echo John Birch's caution about inferior spec'd tubes...

In use we take care not to let the pole bear hard against the forestay when
reaching under the chute... But that is good seamanship anyway.

I can send a picture to you off line if you wish.

All this naturally brings to mind a story from my wooden boat days with
TOUCH WOOD.   She came to me with a lovely tapered wooden pole of sitka
spruce... Which I broke one day while reaching and busting it around the
forestay.  I couldn't find stock to make a new one in time for a subsequent
race so in desperation I bought a length of 3"x3" maple from a local lumber
store the I whittled into shape and slapped the ends onto.   That pole
served her for the next eighteen years.  Later when I had time I properly
shaped it; and people told me a hundred times 'maple is not a boatbuilding
wood, you can't use it', but it was a great pole.  It is probably still in
service someplace in Florida - it was stolen from TOUCH WOOD while she was
swinging around a mooring in Boot Key Harbour awaiting Hurricane Katrina.

Cheers - Gord #426