[Public-List] Rudder Hardware

Chris Martin notcmartin at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 20:10:36 PDT 2010

Hello All

Please forgive me is this gets posted twice, my first attempt was stalled due to an attachment.

I'm finally getting my rudder back together and need some advice on the final steps. I have a new gudgeon and pintle from Port Townsend and need to modify it to fit the boat. Similar to what's found here, http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/Gudgeons/ I need to split the pintle and then install a few set screws.

I cant find silicone bronze set screws small enough to work, do you see a problem using brass? I dont know the exact composition on the new hardware, I can call Port Townsend if needed, the last thing I want is for this to corrode.

Also, the pivot/shaft doesnt fit the cut out in the rudder.  http://muvvachicken.com/images/alberg30/pintle_small.JPG

I see a few options

1) Cut off the pretty new bits to fit the rudder
2) Make the rudder fit the new bits

What do you think? I'm leaning towards cutting the new hardware. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for your help

Chris