[Public-List] Rudder Hardware

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 03:47:04 PDT 2010

Chris,

I'd use stainless before brass. Brass is so weak. Stainless can
corrode, so perhaps change out the set screws every few years? I'd
also opt to put in some sort of goop to isolate the stainless from the
bronze like Tef-Gel.

I don't have a good suggestion on fitting them, but I'd choose to
modify the rudder to fit the hardware. Fiberglass can be rebuilt
easily enough whereas the bronze hardware cannot.

Can I ask what you paid for the fittings?

-jeff

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Chris Martin <notcmartin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Please forgive me is this gets posted twice, my first attempt was stalled due to an attachment.
>
> I'm finally getting my rudder back together and need some advice on the final steps. I have a new gudgeon and pintle from Port Townsend and need to modify it to fit the boat. Similar to what's found here, http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/Gudgeons/ I need to split the pintle and then install a few set screws.
>
> I cant find silicone bronze set screws small enough to work, do you see a problem using brass? I dont know the exact composition on the new hardware, I can call Port Townsend if needed, the last thing I want is for this to corrode.
>
> Also, the pivot/shaft doesnt fit the cut out in the rudder.  http://muvvachicken.com/images/alberg30/pintle_small.JPG
>
> I see a few options
>
> 1) Cut off the pretty new bits to fit the rudder
> 2) Make the rudder fit the new bits
>
> What do you think? I'm leaning towards cutting the new hardware. Anything I'm missing?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Chris

Jeffrey Fongemie