[Public-List] Alberg 30 or Triton?

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Wed Jun 30 10:21:04 PDT 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 12:58 PM, mahseer at kos.net wrote:

> Dan
> There is no way in this world I would cross any ocean in a boat I
> bought
> for $1,000.00.

I don't think the purchase price has much bearing on what I would
cross an ocean in.  I would want a structurally strong, well-rigged,
well-outfitted boat of a good design. I don't think any of our genre
of boat fit the former three specs when they were built as family
racer/coastal cruisers, so to my mind even a "pristine" $20k Alberg 30
would need some serious re-fitting before setting out on that type of
voyage.  It's no problem starting out from even a gutted hull if you
have the interest, knowledge, money, and aptitude to build it up
properly.  Well done, it would be much better than new.

>  My gut feeling is that there a some defects when the
> external ballast has been glassed in.

I agree that I would skeptical of external ballast that has been later
encapsluated.  I think that external lead ballast is a fine thing, and
internal can be fine too of course.  But one that has been made into
the other; that would bear some careful checking.

Rachel
ex-#221