[Public-List] Grudgens and pintle question

Matthew Hay mattrhay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 07:17:42 PST 2010

I scraped clean my grudgens last night and I found that it contains six
screws two from each side offset with one another and then two next to each
other going the same direction right at the point were the grudgen meets the
space between rudder and keel.  They are not bolts, but big screws that the
tip of just comes through the other side.  The grudgen looks like it is
solid brass (it is gold colored).  It looks very strong and I inspected for
cracks and there are none.  My question is that the pintle below the grudgen
is visible with probably about a 1/2" showing.  But the top pintle can not
be seen.  It seems that the rudder is almost riding on top of the grudgen.
Should I be able to see equal amounts of pintle on either side of the
grudgen or is it normal to have a small gap on top and a larger one on the
bottom.  I am going to take the shoe off next.  Perhaps the pin in the shoe
has worn causing the rudder to slip down?  The rudder moves and works great
and there is no side to side or back and forth play or rubbing feeling or
sound?  It all looks so good I do not want to tamper with it if I do not
have to.  Also, in the shoe the two bolts in the "shoe end" that go into the
keel are much larger then the ones in the picture on the sight.

Thank you in advance,

Matthew #314 1968