[Public-List] Grudgens and pintle question

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Mar 9 07:31:24 PST 2010

The 'normal' manner to fit a rudder is to have the solid castings of the
pintles and gudgeons (I only call them Grudgeons if I suspect they are
harbouring malice toward me ;) ) bearing against each other.  If the rudder
is fitted with a heel pin, it is convenient to have its weight bear on the
gudgeon down at the heel.

I hope I am making sense... Basically it does not really matter what sort of
gaps occur.    Some boats (like the Folkboat) where the rudder is easily
removed and liable to be taken off from time to time, people set things up
so that the pintles are spaced such that one goes in before the other.  This
makes lining them up for shipping the rudder a 'one at a time' job.
Otherwise you have to try to watch both at the same time.  Marty Feldman
would have been good at this but most of us would find it nearly impossible.

Gord #426 Surprise