[Public-List] Stoves.. and a note about propane

Randy Katz randy.katz50 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 08:33:50 PST 2010

We use a 2-burner Coleman stove, also, which burns Coleman fuel liquid. (You
pump up the tank manually.) The stove is bolted to a bevelled board to level
it and sits loosely on the folding shelf fwd of the sink. Thus, it can slide
an inch or two back and forth so the plates locker door swings clear.
Through rough weather (very, at times) the little stove has always stayed in
place and never fallen off of its shelf-- the fiddles prevent that.
Yes, like camping AND like yachting, I would say. It works great!

Regards,
Randy Katz
Bellingham/Seattle, WA.

PS I wanted to avoid propane alltogether in order to avoid legendary
hassles/dangers with that. We did, however, end up buying a propane heater
after reassurances from the guy at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. His view is
that even if there were to be-- somehow-- some leaking with propane on board
(despite keeping the tank outside, having a regulator, solenoid, etc) small
amounts would evaporate within 24 hours or so anyway-- it won't accumulate
and stay put in the bilge and continue to build and build in quantity.
Since we leave the boat for weeks at a time in the winter, with propane
disconnected completely, this made propane seem to be no problem. So now we
have a great little heater for winter cruising in the San Juans and no
worries (though we're still very careful.)