[Public-List] On risks and precautions - fuel, etc.

Dennis K. Biby sailor at aweigh.com
Sun Mar 14 09:46:58 PDT 2010

A week ago I met the owner of a 47' trawler who was replacing his propane
cook stove with a diesel one and ditching his dinghy/gas-outboard in favor
of a rowing tender because last fall he witnessed a boat explode as it
pulled away from the fuel dock.  He said that it was just like in the movies
with bodies flying through the air.

Like many on this list, my first guess was that the operator failed to
ventilate after overfilling the fuel tanks.  That was not the case.  The
boat owner who lent the boat to his brother had for some unknown reason
replaced every deckfill cap with a cap marked gasoline - including the water
tanks!!!

The list thread on stove fuels is an excellent method for revealing the
hazards associated with various cooking fuels and appliances.  George's post
on the ABYC standards and Practical Sailor findings is a great help.
Although it hasn't arisen in this discussion, carbon monoxide output from an
open flame in a closed cabin is also a serious consideration.

Rather than advocate one fuel/stove over another I'm merely suggesting that
each owner has to establish the appropriate precautions for the risks
chosen.  That may mean hanging unused bottles from the rail, installing a
standards-compliant system, or eating cold food.  As far as I know there is
not a perfect solution.

I found these 2008 boating accident statistics from Florida quite
interesting

http://myfwc.com/docs/Safety/2008_Boating_Statbook_reportable.pdf

Alcohol in the belly is far more dangerous than alcohol in the stove.

Just my 2 barnacles,

Dennis

Visit MolokaiReef.com to learn more about my mystery novel:  Molokai Reef -
Gybe Sails Hawaii.