[Public-List] full-batten mainsail

Knickman Family knickman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 17:24:13 PDT 2010

I bought Alberg #372 from the original owner 1 1/2 years ago and have been
slowly but surely getting her refurbished and ready to sail this summer.
Hull, engine, rigging all have been attended to, and now I am looking to the
sails themselves and any attention they may need.  The fall prior to selling
the boat, the previous owner had North Sails make a full-batten mainsail but
then decided that winter he didn"t have time to sail anymore.  So, I have
this brand new mainsail to use but I have read that there may be some
concerns with dropping the sail.  I understand that the full battens can
exert quite a pressure against the mast and make lowering the sail quite a
hassle?  The mast has the original sail track and the new sail was made with
the slides to fit the track.  Part of me wonders would the North Sails
people have made such a setup knowing there would be such difficulty?  I
realize that full-batten sails nowadays usually ride up and down the mast
with a "car" system that eliminates the trouble I'm speaking of.  Any
thoughts about this setup?  Thanks for the help.
              Ed Knickman