[Public-List] Whitby thru-hulls

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Mar 26 12:58:31 PDT 2010

My boat has gone back in the water after the semi-annual
haulout. This time, as well as painting, I pulled the three
Whitby homemade thru-hulls. I have mixed feelings as to whether
I should have bothered. All three were in pretty good shape.
They're pipe nipple banged over fender washers all right, but
they've also been brazed together. They're definitely not ideal,
but I'm also not surprised they've held together for 37 years.

While they were out, I got a look at the hull thickness. On my
boat anyway, the hull is just shy of 1/2" at the position
of the engine cooling thru-hull. I thought our boats were heavier
built than that. I was expecting 3/4" or more.

Stephen
Quasar #495

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn