[Public-List] stoves

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Mar 12 06:59:53 PST 2010

We had an alcohol fire once aboard TOUCH WOOD... The flames were invisible
and the first I knew of the situation was when I reached over the stove and
noticed the hair on my arms suddenly curling - then I felt the heat.  TW's
stove had a box-like lid that hinged over it.  I slammed the lid shut and
the fire quickly snuffed itself out.

In post mortem it was learned that the fire was caused by a guest pouring
alcohol into the Almatic stove with the resevoir/burners still in place.
The fuel ran right through the discs and pooled in the bottom of the stove
compartment.

This should never have happened - it has never happened again.  In the case
of the fire described above, I had told my guest how to refuel the stove but
he thought I was being 'over cautious' and figured he knew better.  Oh well,
we are still friends.

Gord  #426 Surprise