[Public-List] stoves

Janet Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Sun Mar 14 16:05:52 PDT 2010

At 10:52 AM 3/12/2010, John Birch wrote:
>Out first week with Sunstone back in 92 the whole stove top caught fire
>due to a leaky valve o ring.
>
>This wasn't one of your standard alcohol fires with a low blue almost
>invisible flame - the flames were about 6 inches to a foot. A wet towel
>solved the problem in about 10 seconds.
>
>Letting a fire extinguisher off would have meant a month of cleaning.

Modern fire extinguishers - Purple K - are effective, but leave a terrible
residue. I keep aboard, and in the home kitchen, now banned for
environmental reasons, Halon extinguishers which are marvelous and leave no
residue. The Purple K ones are always there as a backup and to satisfy the
Coast Guard on inspection. A CO2 bottle is also fine. Tough to find either
nowadays, though. I understand there is a newer, non-certified non-residue
type which is not A-B-C rated, but I don't know any detaile.

The typical small cooking fire can be extinguished with Halon or CO2; if
the fire is bigger, you don't worry about the residue, so use the Purple K
backup. I understand

Bob Kirk
Isobar 181