[Public-List] stove and Coleman fuel safety

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Mar 13 13:37:55 PST 2010

Randy,

Randy Katz wrote:
> We're fresh-air fantatics and keep the boat well aired always, so I'm not
> worried about fumes collecting. They appear to rise and vent out the hatch,
> anyway, not sink as propane does

You're fooling yourself.  According to the MSDS (see
http://zenstoves.net/MSDS/Coleman.htm) "VAPOR DENSITY (AIR=1): 3"  In
other words, the vapor from Coleman fuel is approximately three times
heavier than air, and will principally sink into the bilge.

That MSDS also shows "CHEMICAL FORMULA: C5-C9" meaning 5 to 9 carbon
atoms per molecule.  Butane has 4 carbons and propane has 3.  Hence,
Coleman Fuel is heaver than both butane and propane.

Natural gas has 1 to 2 carbon atoms per molecule and is lighter than air.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org