[Public-List] Stoves.. and a note about propane

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 14 09:51:58 PDT 2010

Hi Cathy,

Diesel stoves are el stinky - suggest if you go the diesel stove route you
use Canadian Tire clear lamp oil which is heavily paraffin based. Since
converting our kerosene lamps to that fuel, there is not smell to speak of.
One problem with diesel stoves is you still have to preheat the burner with
alcohol or methyl hydrate in the warming pan.

I trust you are using proper pressure alcohol fuel now in your pressurized
stove and not the cheap stuff, because the cheap stuff has lots of
impurities and methyl hydrate which burns your eyes from the vapour.

When we got Sunstone, the previous owner had the tank filled with the cheap
stuff, once I figured that out converting to proper pressure alcohol made
all the difference. The formaldehyde gasses really hit my eyes particularly
hard from the cheap stuff.

Still takes the length of a bible to boil water for pasta, but at least I
can now share in cooking as opposed to climbing to the masthead for clear
air ; )

The cats like it better too  >'.'<   >'o'<

Best

John