[Public-List] Stoves.. and a note about propane

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Mar 14 09:25:07 PDT 2010

I looked at the ABYC standards for galley stoves,
http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-03.pdf  (These are from 2000; the
current edition of the standards cost money.)  These standards apply to
boat manufacturers and to people doing work for others.  They don't
directly apply to boat owners, who are allowed to blow themselves up if
they want.  If you check your insurance, however, you may likely not be
covered if you violate these standards.

Since Coleman fuel is effectively a light purified gasoline, I believe
they're forbidden by the standard:

A-3.7.1	Appliances using gasoline in a liquid or solid form for priming
or fuel are prohibited.

Butane and propane stoves are covered by these provisions:

A-3.8.1	Burner controls shall be equipped or designed to require a
push-turn or other two-step operation when going from the off to on
position.

A-3.8.2	All gaseous fueled stoves and ovens shall have a flame failure
device on all burners and pilot lights.

A-3.8.3	Stoves	shall	meet	the	combustion requirements of ANSI Z 21.57,
Recreational Vehicle Gas Cooking Appliances.

This ANSI standard can generally be verified by checking the UL
certification.  (See http://bit.ly/axE0LP )  You can also check that the
knob requires two movements to turn on and that the gas is shut off when
the flame is blown out.

Note that NSI Z21.57 covers Recreational vehicle cooking gas appliances
and ANSI Z21.58/ CSA 1.6 covers outdoor cooking gas appliances
and ANSI Z21.72/ CSA 11.2 covers Portable type gas camp stoves.  It's
possible for a single stove to meet more than one of these requirements.
  This means it's /possible/ for a camp stove to be acceptable on a boat
(in the US, at least), but you'll have to check carefully.

Of course, what's permitted and what's done are often two different
things.  I noticed that Practical Sailor
(http://www.practical-sailor.com/marine/Compact-Galley-Stoves.html) said:

"For gaseous stoves with fuel sources weighing more than 8 ounces and
are planned for galley use, the ABYC requires a flame-failure device
that stops fuel flow once the flame is extinguished. The only stove in
our test with the device is the Kenyon KISS cooktop. The butane stoves
use 7.8- or 8-ounce canisters, and the sea swings are not recommended
for use down below. The standard does not apply to liquid-fueled stoves
like the Origo. We tested the shutoff on the KISS by igniting the stove,
blowing out the flame, and observing the time it took to stop the fuel
flow."

and "According to the ABYC, gaseous galley stoves must have a two-step
ignition process (a push-turn or something similar). The Chef-Master
requires only a simple turn of the temperature control knob to light. It
was the only test stove lacking the two-step ignition."

Personally, I would worry about the connection of the propane bottle to
the stove on many of the camp stoves I've seen.  The rigid tube offers a
long lever that could cause connections to be stressed and leak.  At
least, that's my fear.

I /do/ use a cheap tabletop gas grill on the boat.  It has a direct
connection for the gas bottle, I use it on deck, and I remove the gas
bottle when not in use (storing the gas in a bag on the stern rail).  I
feel pretty comfortable with that use and, at $14, I can replace the
stove when it rusts out.

Down below I use a butane stove.  I know it takes a two-step motion to
turn on, but I don't know if it has the flame-failure feature.  Given
what Practical Sailor says about the Kenyon Express II, probably not,
even though it was sold as a marine stove.  I store these bottles on the
stern rail also, though I've heard it's permitted to store one below.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org