[Public-List] Propane bottles

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 14 12:16:59 PDT 2010

Rod wrote:

"One more warning.  I used to remove the one pound bottle from the camp stove and my plumbers torch when not in use until one time the seal on the bottle failed to close properly and an almost full pound of propane leaked out before I needed it next.   That was a distressing discovery.
At least the 20 pound tank has a shut off valve.   Has anyone experienced them leaking ?"

My experience has been just often enough to prevent me from taking them below.  The only throw aways I use on board are for the grill and they do not go in a cockpit locker or any other place that can leak to the interior.  They are stored on the rail, or on Isa Lei in the propane locker.  As a side note if I get a leaker on board, it goes swimming - rules about throwing trash over the side be damned.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

"What really scares the dickens out of me is the strategist who's never had to put body bags on a helicopter."

James Mattis
GEN, USMC