[Public-List] Propane bottles

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 14 13:30:32 PDT 2010

Rod,

We had a 40 lb bottle at work start to leak 2 summers ago.  It turned out to have been over-filled and, as the tank warmed up, the tank over-pressure vented through the relief valve which worked as designed.  We first thought that the valve was defective but when I took the tank to the nearest propane dealer to find out what was wrong they found that the tank was 7 lbs over weight even after an hour or more of venting.  They weren't long venting the remaining excess and then they condemned the tank because it was past its mandatory inspection.  It should never have been filled in the first place!  The supervisor of the work crew who had planned to use the tank was quite unconcerned about the potential hazard and was more upset over the lost propane.

Hugh