[Public-List] Leading lines aft

Jonathan Adams laughing_gull at verizon.net
Tue Mar 16 09:55:49 PDT 2010

Greg,

This is how it is done on Laughing Gull - 197.

You have a choice I think of drilling holes in the mast or in the deck.

This picture has the deck organizers, and the spinlocks - http://mysite.verizon.net/laughing_gull/id1.html .

My Jib and Spin halyard come off the mast, as does my Pole topping lift. They go back from the mast directly to the deck organizers - so they are about 6" off the deck right behind the mast.

My vang, pole downhaul, main outhaul all go to blocks on the deck right behind the mast, and lead back through the deck organizers. The pole downhaul is led from a block on the foredeck just behind the cleats. I am not sure that this is best, as you need to adjust the downhaul tension as you trim the chute. It would be better if the downhaul came back to the forward side of the mast. hmm now you have me wondering how others do that.

The vang itself is not attached to the deck, but rather to the mast, and then from there to a block on the deck, and then back to the organizer.