[Public-List] Leading Lines Aft - plate at mast step

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Mar 23 06:44:22 PDT 2010

Jeff,

Jeffrey wrote:
> I too would like to my lines aft, don't have any directional blocks at
> the mast bottom. I was considering was having an organizing plate made
> up that would sit under the mast that would have a few holes for some
> blocks to redirect the lines, instead of attaching new hardware to the
> mast itself.  I think the mast step has a tall enough profile that a
> the thickness of the plate would not be a problem.
>
> Am I missing something? Any cons to this?  Seems like I've seen other
> sailboats with this setup.

On the Alberg, most plates have trouble on the forward side with
interference with the hatch.  Other than that, you should be fine.

I've got a couple turning blocks
(http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/RunningRigging/P3310014.jpg)
on the mast for my halyards, but I've thought about putting blocks on
the bail at the bottom of the mast for running some other lines aft.
The bail is mounted on the big bolt going through the mast and the
aluminum casting.  It's currently used just for attaching the vang.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org