[Public-List] Leading Lines Aft - plate at mast step

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 23 07:58:56 PDT 2010

I had Garhauer custom make one for me using their heavy gauge plate.They
make two or three  as standard and the smaller ones were of a fairly
light gauge SS. I liked the heavy gauge better. I specified the hole
pattern on the edges and left the bolt pattern blank so that I could
drill holes to match the bolt pattern on my boat and still have the mast
base plate movable as designed. I did give them the width of the mast
base plates so that they could roll the edges as close to that as
possible to reduce moments if the force up on the block happened to be
more up than out. From a design point of view, the resolved force should
be on the angle of the bend. Teh length needed to be longer thatn one
might expect so that the mast base has full movement. I did not drill
slots in this plate so it is fixed relative to the deck. Isolate it from
the aluminum base plates if you are on salt water with a piece of
neoprene or rubber like an inner tube. As I recall it was about $125
with shipping but that was several years ago now. The only caution I
have is to consider the electrical wires through the deck and the radio
connection if they are close to the mast base.
Don #528