[Public-List] Freshwater tank lid, seal or no seal

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Fri May 14 06:27:34 PDT 2010

Hey everyone,

I'm connecting the freshwater storage tank for the first time. My boat
is pre-liner and the tank has a round brass cover (lid) about 5 inches
in diameter. The cover is held in by a 8 little screws and there was a
rotten rubber gasket between the brass lid and the fiberglass top.
This may be original and a common setup.  After many rinses and
scrubbings I'm putting the cover back on. I've made a new gasket out
of some rubber gasket material and was hoping I could get by with just
the gasket. While it seems unlikely that such a setup will be water
tight, I'd rather not use sealant of any sort since it would make
future opening & cleaning more of a pain.

I'm curious of what others have done. Anyone using just the gasket leak free?

-jeff

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie