[Public-List] How does the top mast step bolt to the lower mast step plate on older boats?

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Mon May 24 08:04:51 PDT 2010

I've finally addressed taking off my mast step plate to see what's
under there. Deck is hard and sound, but any old sealant is dry and
dusty. Seagrass is an older boat, so the lower plate was held in with
six flat head bolts, the center two going right through to the cabin
inside.

It's the top section I'm concerned about. The top section of my setup
(what the mast actually sits on, is held by four short bolts, that
bolt only to the lower mast plate (which is bolted to the deck). Since
it appears there has been a few new holes drilled, filled and changed,
I don't know if this is original. I'm wondering if the top bolts
should go straight through the lower plate into the fiberglass?

Anyone with an older boat know what the original setup is?

I must admit that I'm not entirely sure I understand the direction of
the forces the rig puts in this. Obviously downward pressure.
Certainly the aluminum or fiberglass threads won't hold any upward
pull.  Are there sideways forces at the mast base? The whole aluminum
threading seems so weak, even the top plate isn't that meaty on the
outside of the ovals.

Essentially, should I leave it alone and just let the top bolts tread
to the bottom plate?

-Jeff

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass