[Public-List] How does the top mast step bolt to the lower mast step plate on older boats?

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Mon May 24 09:05:39 PDT 2010

On #221, the top plate was attached to the main step by four bolts,
which were tapped into the lower plate (only).  I will e-mail you a
photo as mine looked original.

As I understand it, a mast base should only be in compression, with no
side/fore/aft loading, and the bolts (or, in the case of other
designs, keyway, or protrusion) should be more of a locating device
and not meant to withstand sailing forces.

Rachel
ex-#221