[Public-List] Close tolerances for shaft and shaft log!

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Thu May 27 04:35:11 PDT 2010

Hey everyone,

What began as a simple cutlass bearing change grew into a drive system
overhaul!

I've got a new coupling, shaft and prop.

see: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rBUX3ltoRI_YWDpiM4lFvQ?feat=directlink

Quite a job getting the old caulking out to reinstall the shaft log.
One thing that bothers me somewhat are the close tolerances between
the shaft log and drive shaft. On my boat at least, the id of the tube
is only 1 3/16". Not much clearance for a 7/8 shaft! In reinstalling
the shaft log, I fussed endlessly to get the alignment perfect, only
to find the shaft slightly off center once the 4200 sealant had cured.
I'm about a 16th off.

See:  http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pfwCm_WcyK5tlVhWRz_7ZA?feat=directlink

At this point, the sealant has cured & I need to decide if I'm close
enough. One thing I was thinking I could do to try to correct the
alignment would be back the two bolts outside the boat, using an old
chisel slightly crack an edge of the outside stern tube, stuff a
sliver of bronze under one side to re-align the tube and smear some
more 4200 into the crack before tightening down the bolts.

Or I might just leave it.

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie