[Public-List] White smoke

Janet Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Fri May 7 17:48:53 PDT 2010

White smoke; oily cooling water... that does smell like head gasket. A
little smoke never hurt anyone; the A4's are amazingly tolerant of abuse.
Rings & valves can be minimized forever with Marvel Mystery and other
thickening glops, but at some time, if you motor a lot, the head gasket
will hurt you. The danger is that after a while you erode the head or block
and thus a major repair or trash the engine. I'd bite the bullet now..The
one saving grace is that if you have the head off, you might as well do a
valve job and have and (almost) overhauled, brand new engine.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181