[Public-List] Incline test on an Alberg 30?

JT speedbump at austin.rr.com
Sat May 8 15:39:35 PDT 2010

Dear John and Richard,

Agreed that these boats are indeed bulletproof! In fact, her excellent
stability curve was one of the main reasons we bought an A30. I saw a
lot of her wooden sisters on a recent trip to the Baltic...

I should've explained myself.

Baraka was a wreck when we found her in '06. After a hiatus, we're back
to putting her to rights (so to speak)! We'll eventually take her
offshore and are working with a rigger to ensure her replacement spars
and standing rigging are properly sized for that job. While he can work
from standard tables, he said the best way was to perform an incline
test, as in Brion Toss's book "The Complete Rigger's Apprentice," p.
136: level the boat in the water, then line up several of your buddies
along the toerail after noting their weights. Note the heel in degrees.
(Hopefully, it's a handy 10 degrees.) By measuring the distance they are
from the CL of the boat, and multiplying their aggregate weight by that
distance, then multiplying again by 3 (if you got 10 degrees), you get
the righting moment (RM) for the boat at 30 degrees of heel.

This morning, my partner-in-crime managed to perform this feat on an A30
in Clear Lake, Texas. Our figure was 4,459 foot-pounds for 10% of heel.

Knowing that a lot of folks had undertaken complete restorations, I was
wondering if anyone else had done this, and if so, whether their results
were close to ours?

Regards,
Jeff