[Public-List] Incline test on an Alberg 30?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat May 8 16:06:23 PDT 2010

Anyone concerned about our boats' stability characteristics should have a
squint at C.J. Marchaj's book 'Seaworthyness, the Forgotten Factor'.   It is
a learned and uncompromising examination of trends in yacht design... While
the A30 is not named, her type is defined as an ideal.

While traditional or classic hull types may have lower resistance to heeling
initially, the combination of deep full keels and narrowish beams result in
very high LPS numbers.  LPS, Limit of Positive Stability, is the number that
counts.  The A30's LPS is somewhere around 170 degrees.  That means that you
have to roll us 170 degrees before the yacht stops trying to right herself.

Your average beamy, fin-keeled yacht, the type that clobbers us in light
airs and may even gloat about its 'stiffness' in 15 knots of wind, could
have an LPS between 80 and 110 degrees.  Those low numbers mean that over a
very wide swath of a circle (roll) they are as stable upside down as right
side up.  The extreme of this is a multi hull yacht, which has incredible
stability for the first 20 or 30 degrees of heel... And is then so stable
when capsized that in cannot be righted without outside help.

The A30 and its type are very good seaboats.  Provided you can keep the sea
out, in the Alberg 30 we have a boat that will continue to look after its
crew through extreme conditions.  (but I DO wish Mr. Hansen had followed Mr.
Albergs wishes and given us lighter fractional rigs and lead ballast..)

Gord #426 Surprise