[Public-List] A-4 White Smoke

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun May 9 02:13:08 PDT 2010

Would not running the engine for a bit and then checking the oil (after
turning it off of course) reveal whether water was getting into the cyl. ?

If the oil is foamy, water is present.

40 year old engines would most likely let some water leak past the rings and
into the crank case if the head or head gasket was compromised me thinks.

The exhaust stack somehow leaking is a possibility, however it sounds like
the boat was put to bed fine for the winter and now is doing this smoke
thing. That is different than it developing over the season. I keep
wondering if a water pocket did not get enough AF during layup. That bypass
on the thermostat thing perhaps or perhaps some water stayed in the exhaust
sack - the whole thing is a solder together.

Really hard to diagnose over email.

Gord is pretty good with this stuff, he just would rather do rigging than
turn greasy engine bolts - I can certainly understand that ....

Best of luck anyway

John