[Public-List] Securing Fuel Tank

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue May 11 08:34:39 PDT 2010

Hi there -

I put a Tempo tank in my port cockpit locker... It sits on the liner ledge.
To secure it I bolted a steel angle iron to the wooden bulkhead and ran an
aluminium strip (about 1/8" thick x 1") along the inboard side of the tank
from the angle iron.  At a position about under the main sheet winch on the
port side, I drilled through the cockpit side and put a bolt through that to
another aluminium strip which I ran down to the horizontal strip.

Going back to the angle iron, I took a nylon webbing truck tie down (the
type that comes with the ratcheting winch/buckle) and hooked that to the
alum strip at the forward end of the tank.  I ran the webbing around behind
the tank, across the after end, and up to the after end of the horizontal
alum strip.  I put the other end of the webbing through a shackle I put in
the aluminium and cranked it tight.

I put a green plastic garbage bag behind the tank, between it and the hull,
and shot two cans of expanding foam into it.  I did the same with another
bag and one can of foam above the tank.  The thing is rock solid now, and
got a nod of approval from my surveyor last week.

Gord #426 Surprise