[Public-List] A-Bomb (Solution and Thank You)

Jock McClees mccleesj at comcast.net
Wed May 26 07:40:44 PDT 2010

Thanks to everyone who suggested possible solutions for my problem getting
the engine started. I spoke to John Vosbury and he suggested to start with
opening the bolt at the bottom of the carb and draining out any junk. Due to
my finely honed mechanic skills, my next question to him was, Where is the
carburetor? It turned out that on my boat the placement of the batteries
makes it difficult to access the bolt in question. I mentioned the
suggestion that it was a problem with the coil and the coil looked really
old. He said test that first since it is much easier. So I unplugged the
wire from the top of the distributor and laid it on the block and got my
daughter to turn over the engine. It sparked so that was good. When I went
to reattach it to the distributor cap, the other end fell off the coil. It
was apparently loose. I guess I had knocked it at some point. I put both
ends back on and it started up and ran like a champ. I had checked the wires
to the spark plugs but never thought about that wire.
George, don't know if that might help you, but it turned out to be an easy
fix for me. Hopefully you will have something just as easy.
Jock