[Public-List] Main sail modification?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Nov 1 05:57:50 PDT 2010

Good morning Bruno -

Well I hope I am not insisting... But I think the issues you describe would
be cured by a new sail.  I understand mains are not an impulse purchase - it
took me years to resolve to make the decision myself.  SURPRISE's old main
was still very strong, but the shape was gone from it.  We finally ordered a
new one after we got tired of sailing at high angles of heel all the time
when the wind was up near 10-12kts (which is really not a lot of wind!)

Adjustments to your old sail can achieve improvements, but you will likely
still have the problems.   I guess you and Elyse have to decide how much the
symptoms the old sails are giving you are worth in dollars.   Of course the
decision is yours - that is one of the great things about owning a yacht.
I have found in our case I usually think about a major change for at least a
year before doing it....

Gord #426 SURPRISE