[Public-List] Main sail modification?

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Mon Nov 1 06:38:08 PDT 2010

I am the guy with the new Working Jib that George mentioned.

It is the Chesapeake A30 One-Design Class legal Working Jib
Luff : 30'
Foot : 10' 3"
Leech : 25' 9"
Min. 7.25 ounces/running yard (min is 8.4 oz)
The A30 J is 10.5 feet and the Luff Perpendicular of this sail is 6
feet, making it a 57% jib.

I had Bacons of Annapolis make it.

I bought it for 25-35kts, but it works so well that this sail now goes
up when the breeze is above 18 or so.
It balances very nicely with a single or double reef, and trims very
well on the inside track. I recommend a second set of blocks to get a
good lead to the primary winches.
I have one snatch block and am trolling Ebay looking for another. I
think I would race with it if I were short handed.

Yesterday I tacked into the Magothy in 20-25 kts with a single reef and
this jib, and got about a 105 degree tacking angle. My main is a bit
baggy at the foot an looks better with a single reef.  I was doing 5.6
knots over ground upwind, and 6.3 and more on a beam reach up the bay.

On the fall cruise I and my two kids were screaming downwind down the
bay at 7+ knots in 25+ winds with big following seas with a full main
and this jib wing-on-wing. I decided to tack around and reef the main
for a beam reach into the Rhode River, and found my gooseneck track
falling off. I dropped the main, and thought it about time to try
heaving to after reading the techniques here. It was fantastic. It
steadied the boat, despite the big waves, and had us moving at about 1.5
knots. I was able to deal with the failing boom track and get the main
secured. We then reached in on the working jib alone at 5 knots!

Later on the fall cruise I tacked up the Severn in 18-25 double reefed
witht the working jib and had a great time. The visibility improvement
is great, and the shorter sheet length on tacks is another big
difference. Using this sail means my control of the main is "finer", and
I can mostly use the traveler to deal with puffs. Also, it is much
easier to drop and secure on the foredeck.

My recommendation would be to stick with the original main dimensions,
but make sure you have 2 or 3 reefs in the main.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272