[Public-List] Primary winch size

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 4 14:39:13 PDT 2010

Ahoy; We are proposing to replace the existing old-old bronze primary winches. on Emotional Rescue #303. These were probably original equipment with the winch handle sliding in from the side of the top. I have priced the Lewmar black aluminum, self-tailing, 2-speed winches at West Marine as this seems to be the least expensive type. The question is what size; a #30 or a #40?

The size #40 is 18% more costly than the #30 or approx. $150.00 The power ratio for the #40 is 40.2:1; for the #30, 29.2:1 or 73% stronger.

There is nothing wrong with the existing primary winches; they are used for our rental and teaching boat, for a 110% jib. The new Board wants to teach our skippers about chartering in exoctic places, on typical charter boats. They feel that our winches should be donated to the Smithsonian.

What siz have others used? How have the black anodized aluminum held up?

Ed Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue