[Public-List] Primary winch size

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Nov 4 14:49:37 PDT 2010

Hi Ed -

We moved SURPRISE's old Barients back to the spinnaker positions and put a
pair of Harken 40ST's in the primary positions.   They have enough power,
although it is still tough to get the last few inches of the sheet in when
the wind is up round 20 +.

They've been there for five years I think; the black anodizing is fine but I
have to say I watch the black nylon top plates with dread, waiting to break
one.   Also, the rope bearing surface of the drums is very rough - it
destroys sheets.

I didn't choose them; I bartered them for a pair of lectures I gave at the
local marine college.

Complaints aside, the addition of these self tailing winches was the next
most dramatic improvement we have made to the boat.   The most dramatic in
terms of beneficial improvement was new sails.

Gord #426