[Public-List] battery chargers

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Fri Nov 5 11:27:31 PDT 2010

   While I agree that old-style auto-transformer car battery chargers
were not to be used on a boat, there is a new-style electronic charger
that IS isolated and does drop its charging voltage as the battery comes
up to full voltage. I have checked mine with a multi-meter and it is
isolated. My zincs don't go away any quicker than before I used this
charger. My batteries don't heat up. Cost $17.00 at Wal-Mart.
Works for me, but whatever you use, be sure it's isolated from the power
line by a transformer, NOT an auto-transformer (such as the old tube
type radios had, too.)
  - Gordon White, Brigadoon II